Why do giraffes have long necks?
1. The first word in Vayikrah has a small letter, an alef, this letter is an anomaly. An anomaly is something out of the ordinary, strange or different.
1. The Torah is full of anomalies. Someone once wrote a book about every anomaly in the Torah, you can purchase it on Amazon, it is called Chumash with Rashi. - Rabbi Becher
2. Why do so many anomalies exist in the Torah?
* What is the only food that is produced by non-kosher animals that is kosher? It is also the only food that never spoils.
*Two items, one is kosher, one is not kosher. When I combine them together, the one that was kosher becomes non-kosher and the one that was non-kosher becomes kosher.
Anomalies are at the core of mystery, at the heart of riddles.
The Torah is a riddle, life is a riddle, the natural world is a riddle.
4.The anomalies on earth (lightning, giraffes neck, eclipses, albinos) lead us to ask questions. These questions engage and involve us in the world and they lead to a deeper understanding of the universe.
4. This is why there are so many anomalies in the Torah, for us to be involved in deciphering them and understanding them. This concept is the center piece of the Passover Sader. The night of passover is full of anomalies, intentionally, so that the children ask questions so they connect themselves to the text of the Haggadah.
בנים אתם להשם
"We are all Hashems children"- Devarim 14:1
Answers to the riddles, click the Riddles tab above.